The eagle's left head

So @Lascaris has the Catholic Church made any concessions at all when during negotiations with the Lascarid Empire?Even IOTL, they offered promises of help to the ERE instead of just say give us XYZ or we will get armies from the Latin West to invade you. Trying to use force alone against the Lascarid Empire after repeated failures seems a bit uncharacteristic of the Church.Usually they do try the carrot and stick approach. After all the failures thus far, I think they should be negotiating in good faith. Like I don’t think they would think that the kingdom of Cyprus is worthwhile compared to what the Lascarid Empire could offer. If they could get the Lascarid Empire to join the fold, then that’s potentially a powerful vehicle for the Church to regain the Near East.A smarter Church would be trying to turn the energy of the Lascarids towards the Turks instead of wasting effort trying to protect an obviously failed project like the various Latin Crusader states. The Church is usually REALLY GENEROUS towards kings who are willing to fight non-Christians.

Last edited:
So @Lascaris has the Catholic Church made any concessions at all when during negotiations with the Lascarid Empire?Even IOTL, they offered promises of help to the ERE instead of just say give us XYZ or we will get armies from the Latin West to invade you. Trying to use force alone against the Lascarid Empire after repeated failures seems a bit uncharacteristic of the Church.Usually they do try the carrot and stick approach. After all the failures thus far, I think they should be negotiating in good faith. Like I don’t think they would think that the kingdom of Cyprus is worthwhile compared to what the Lascarid Empire could offer. If they could get the Lascarid Empire to join the fold, then that’s potentially a powerful vehicle for the Church to regain the Near East.A smarter Church would be trying to turn the energy of the Lascarids towards the Turks instead of wasting effort trying to protect an obviously failed project like the various Latin Crusader states. The Church is usually REALLY GENEROUS towards kings who are willing to fight non-Christians.
The church for the past several decades has also been to put it bluntly corrupt to a degree it is not even funny and in the pockets of the French crown (and its Anjou branches) which is why relations with Sicily were affected by such doctrinal religious issues like Syracuse refusing to pay tithes to Avignon and its relationship with the Angevin crown. Now that we are gradually entering a... shall we say more interesting period...