Why don't more timelines have Avalon as the name of the British New World?

Avalon (/ˈævəˌlɒn/; Latin: Insula Avallonis, Old French Avalon, Welsh: Ynys Afallon, Ynys Afallach; literally meaning "the isle of fruit [or apple] trees") is a legendary island featured in the Arthurian legend. It first appears in Geoffrey of Monmouth's 1136 pseudo-historical account Historia Regum Britanniae ("The History of the Kings of Britain") as the place where King Arthur's sword Excalibur was forged and later where Arthur was taken to recover from his wounds after the Battle of Camlann. Avalon was associated from an early date with mystical practices and figures such as Morgan le Fay.

That sounds badass and is located west of Britain. Why don't more alternate history have that name.

Garetor

Gone Fishin'
Naming land after the monarch or his favorites is safe and easy, and may well be a condition of the royal charter that gives you the land.

Name it after Avalon, and what's your message? Do you long for an older, nobler Britain? Saxon, or Norman? Are you slyly suggesting to the king's enemies that you support some older claimant to the throne? Are you hearkening to paganry, or popery, or high churchmanship?

Lots of questions to answer when you're across the ocean and the king is having poison whispered in his ear. Safer to stroke his ego.

For the record, I first saw Avalon used as a name for North America prior to me realizing what it referred to, in an old alternate history timeline on a standalone website (remember that internet) that I just rediscovered still exists:

A History of the World, 1500-Present
I'll admit I have a soft spot for this TL as it is literally the first AH I ever read. That said, it's hard to make sense of, since it jumps from 1618 to 1765 with no explanation of what happened in that century and a half.

Heavily excerpted Avalon references:

A History of the World, 1500 - Present

What if history were different? Not by much, at least in the beginning. Here, for example, I submit for your consideration a chronology of what might have resulted from an intimate encounter between a 16-year-old Prince and his teenaged bride one night in February, 1502. [Note: The Prince died in April 1502 in both our history and the one presented below.]

1502: (Nov. 7)Catherine of Aragon, the widow of Arthur Tudor (Prince of Wales) gives birth to their son, Edward, at Ludlow Castle, Wales.
1507: Sixteen-year-old Henry Tudor, the Prince of Wales, is killed in a boating accident on the Thames River.
1509:Edward VI Tudor, the Prince of Wales, is crowned King Edward VI after the death of Henry VII.
1519: (Jan. 22)Francis I of France is selected to succeed Maximilian I as the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.
1520: (Nov.20)Edward VII assumes the crown of the United Kingdom of England and Wales.
1902: (Jan. 20)The Dominion of British North America is granted full independence and renames itself the Republic of Avalon.
1902: (Mar. 21)William J. Tate (Union Party) is elected Prime Minister of Avalon following the death of Admiral Wilson.
1903: (Aug. 21)In a stunning military coup d'etat, General Theodore C. Stanwick takes control of the fledgeling Republic of Avalon.
1908: (Sep. 21)Norman B. Maxwell (National Party) is selected Prime Minister of Avalon when General Stanwick is killed "in a training accident"
1910: Penicillin is discovered at La Universidad de Tampa.
1914: (Mar. 21)The Progress Party is elected to a majority in the Assembly of Delegates and its leader, James E. Wallace, becomes Prime Minister of Avalon.
1920: (Mar. 21)Frederick R. Landers (Reform Party) becomes the 18th Prime Minister of Avalon.
1926: Homer Reed is elected Prime Minister of Avalon.
1932: (Mar. 21)Joseph J. Nash (Union Party) is elected as the 20th Prime Minister of Avalon.
1943: (Mar. 21)Economic depression in Avalon, a result of Turner's economic policies allows the Union Party to elect 19 Delegates and 2 Governors.
1943: Japan conquers Ceylon and Burma. Boer Republic joins Russians after an Afrikaaner coup. Bread riots in Avalonian cities; veterans' march on New Haven led by Barrow's "Salvation Army"; Wallace urges workers "into the streets" to break up the marches; order restored by the Avalonian military after three days of chaos and looting. The first electromechanical computer is invented by English mathematicians Herbert Morris and John Naismith at the University of Cardiff.
1944: Turner government in disarray. Russian and British navies clash in Caribbean and Arctic. Draft riots break out in major French cities.
1944: (Mar. 21)Walter C. Barrows (Union Party) is elected to succeed Lord Turner as Prime Minister of Avalon.
1945: Barrows uses the "Salvation Army" to break up food riots and protests. Japanese begin using biowarfare in China and India.
1946: Annamese revolt against Prussia begins. Barrows proposes Emergency Powers Act, effectively suspending the Charter. When Delegate Talbot filibusters against the measure, Barrows dissolves the Assembly. Avalonian militia units mutiny when ordered to crush anti-Barrows riots; Salvation Army armed from military arsenals. Japanese offensives stall in China and India.
1947: Mass desertions and mutinies plague Avalon's military forces. Three Royal Army divisions and a RAS squadron are shipped to America to support Barrows.
1948: Prussian scientists develop the first intercontinental ballistic missile.
1948: (Mar. 21)Henry D. Davis, leader of the National Party, is elected Prime Minister of Avalon.
1958: Union Party leader John S. Warren is elected to serve as the Prime Minister of Avalon.
1959: (Apr. 19)The "Seven-Day War" between the Kingdom of Egypt and Palestine erupts in the Sinai. The first stratospheric jet fighter(J-20) enters the Brasilian Air Service. (Jul. 27)Prussian troops escalate their involvement in the Annamese War (to 1977).
1961: (Sep. 12)The Common Security Act is passed by the Avalon Assembly of Delegates.
1962: Lang Motorwerks introduces the "Electro", the first short-range electric automobile. 1962: (Apr. 11)Lord Warren is assassinated by Avalonian terrorists while on a state visit to Tampa (Republica de Florida) and is succeeded by Progress Party leader Harold F. Morris.
1963: (Aug. 6)Russian scientists explode the world's first atomic bomb (14 kT yield).
1964: (Nov. 10)Paolo de Carinho, a major in the Brasilian Air Service, becomes the first human to successfully orbit the Earth.
1965: (May 11)The Avalon Assembly of Delegates passes the Media Accountability Act, which requires broadcast media submit to government censorship as necessary to maintain national security. (Sep. 1)The Equal Access Act, passed by Avalon's Assembly the previous April, takes effect; millions of women aged over 21 line up at voter registration booths to vote for the first time. (Nov. 3)Avalonian Prime Minister Morris dies; Thomas Lincoln Rawlins is named to succeed him.
1966: (Aug. 20)The King of Egypt visits Rio de Janeiro for the first time.
1966: (Aug. 29)Mexican troops invade Santo Domingo to restore the ruling oligarchy after a coup.
1968: Matsumi Electric scientist Hikaru Omiuri invents the microrelay. (Mar. 21)Robert A. Taylor (Union Party) is elected Prime Minister of Avalon.
1970: Harold A. Taylor (Progress Party) becomes Prime Minister of Avalon following the Union Party's defeat in a confidence election.
1970: Harold A. Taylor (Progress Party) becomes Prime Minister of Avalon following the Union Party's defeat in a confidence election.
1971: (May 12)Arthur II Winthrop is crowned King of the United Kingdom of England and Wales upon the death of his father, Albert II.
1973: Russia constructs the first permanently-crewed space station, called Mechta ("Dream"). (Aug. 5)Lord Richardson is killed in a fire which engulfs the Executive Residence; a week later, Union Party leader George H. Anderson is sworn in as the new Prime Minister of Avalon.
1978: (Mar. 21)Union Party leader Paul J. Naismith is elected Prime Minister of Avalon.
1979: (May 12)The massacre of student protesters by the Imperial Guard in Acapulco becomes the trigger for a nation-wide revolt in Imperial Mexico (to 1985).
1980: (Aug. 17)Kosmonaut Andrei P. Kharinov becomes the first human to set foot upon the Moon, at Mare Procellarum. (Nov. 8)Lord Naismith is forced to resign when it is revealed that he is actually a spy for Acadie. National Party leader Edward W. Nelson is chosen to replace Naismith.
1985: Avalon's economy begins to collapse.
1986: (Feb. 15)Colonel Robert F. Ellis leads a military takeover of the government and proclaims himself Lord Protector of Avalon.
1987: (Oct.)The Avalonian economic collapse reaches its nadir; nearly 60% of its labor force is unemployed.
1989: (Nov. 25)Colonel Ellis is removed from office while he is out of the country on a goodwill tour; his second-in-command, Major Albert G. Douglas, proclaims himself Prime Minister of Avalon.
1992: (Jul. 18)A joint Russo-Brasilian expedition lands on Mars at Chryse Planitia.
1994: (Sep. 22)Avalonian Brigadier John A. Patterson replaces Major Douglas as Prime Minister of New Britain, following a successful coup d'etat.
1994: (Feb. 9)Brasilian researchers announce their discovery that the South Atlantic Ocean is overheating. BR> (Aug. 27)Temperatures in New Haven, Avalon reach a record 5.5 degrees Duval (The Duval scale, formulated in 1706, relates the difference in temperature between freezing and boiling water and divides that difference into ten degrees. Also called the digital system.).
1995: (May 12)Admiral Trent C. Irvin replaces Brigadier Patterson as Prime Minister of Avalon following Patterson's death.
1998: (June 19) Present date [as of Sep.28,2000:Earth-Prime date].

I kinda love how this timeline scatters events, funny historical pacing. The lack of ellipses above between multi-year ranges above goes to really prove that quote about "decades when nothing happens." Guess this was the actual explanation for the timeline-

This particular version of history, which I call CASE ORANGE (for no particular reason, it just sounded good to me), is identical to our own history until a chilly February evening in a damp Welsh castle in 1502. The change, or Point of Departure (as some would call it), is that the two Royals staying in the castle that night manage to conceive a child.

So...what's so earth-shattering about that?
Well, nothing much...at least not in the beginning. However, since these particular Royals were the Prince and Princess of Wales, changes were bound to happen in a big way and soon. More to the point, these particular Royals were Arthur Tudor, who was Henry VIII's older Brother, and his young wife, Catherine (recently of Aragon). The product of their fateful union that night was a boy; unfortunately, the Prince would not live to see the birth of his son at Carnarvon Castle (he was to die, just as in "our" history, on April 2, 1502). The son, named Edward, was to throw the line of succession to his grandfather's throne into turmoil; after all, was he not the son and sole heir to the title of Prince of Wales?

Yeah...so what if he was?

By being the Prince, he became next in line to become King of England when his grandfather, Henry VII, finally got around to dying, which he promptly did on April 21, 1509, when young Edward was but a lad of six. Edward's uncle Henry, who had set his sights on being King himself, was, to say the least, somewhat perturbed by this turn of events, since the boy had failed to die in some "accident" before Henry VII had kicked the bucket. What's more, the old king had taken a liking to his grandson, no doubt due to his eldest son's untimely demise some years before. The younger Henry, then, was forced to take the title of Duke of Richmond and hope that Fate would smile on him and not on Edward.

Better still, looks like the author went on to make a full-fledged site with a slightly expanded Avalon timeline, complete with lists of the alt-nations, technological differences, even a glossary. (@jmberry)

Anyway, nostalgia for ancient days. Not unlike that which the English must have in order to name a colony Avalon.

Last edited:
For the record, I first saw Avalon used as a name for North America prior to me realizing what it referred to, in an old alternate history timeline on a standalone website (remember that internet) that I just rediscovered still exists:

Heavily excerpted Avalon references:

I kinda love how this timeline scatters events, funny historical pacing. The lack of ellipses above between multi-year ranges above goes to really prove that quote about "decades when nothing happens." Guess this was the actual explanation for the timeline-

Better still, looks like the author went on to make a full-fledged site with a slightly expanded Avalon timeline, complete with lists of the alt-nations, technological differences, even a glossary. (@jmberry)

Anyway, nostalgia for ancient days. Not unlike that which the English must have in order to name a colony Avalon.
Avalon is tragically underused — cool name on its own. Camelot City / New Camelot as the capital.

Always thought that if they ever got their hands on Hispaniola the English would rename it Avalon. Or Albion I suppose.

Last edited: