Russian Hawaii?!

Aren't there some islands in and around Kiribati (the Gilbert Islands for those of you using 1940's and 1950's publications:p ) that have Russian names?

Another scenario is, the North loses the Civil War, doesn't buy Alaska, the Russians keep it, British influence in Hawaii grows, the British want to side with Russia's side in various European disputes, so in return for other favors, the British let Russia get more influence in Hawaii and other Pacific Islands so the British can concentrate on other, more profitable holdings. Russia also gets increased influence in other parts of the N. Pacific, and W. Pacific, including maybe Japan, the Phillippines, Okinawa...

Another scenario is, the North loses the Civil War, doesn't buy Alaska, the Russians keep it, British influence in Hawaii grows, the British want to side with Russia's side in various European disputes, so in return for other favors, the British let Russia get more influence in Hawaii and other Pacific Islands so the British can concentrate on other, more profitable holdings. Russia also gets increased influence in other parts of the N. Pacific, and W. Pacific, including maybe Japan, the Phillippines, Okinawa...

Scenario doesn't work since there are stronger American influences in Hawaii than British during the 1860s. Also Hawaii serves as a vital strategic base in transpacific travel, and will probably be a major undersea telegraphic nexus point, particularly between Canada and Australia. The edge in business is with the Americans, since most of them are from Missionary families.

Ah so Koscziuszko was Russian, good to know. Et cetera...

I meant he was probably a Hungarian citizen. What his ethnicity was is another matter.

It's not my fault the average Eastern European has at least a mild case of identity crisis.

I meant he was probably a Hungarian citizen. What his ethnicity was is another matter.

It's not my fault the average Eastern European has at least a mild case of identity crisis.

Weren't people in 13 colonies granted american citizenship with independance? He may have been American too then... :confused:

Damn those Germans and their inept imperial policy when it came to dealing with those damned colonials.