Russian Hawaii?!

Thande

Donor
A frustratingly vague reference in this Wikipedia article...
In 1818, Dr. Schäffer, a Russian entrepreneur, occupied Kauai and negotiated a treaty of protection with the island's governor Kaumualii, vassal of King Kamehameha I of Hawaii, but the Russian Tsar refused to ratify the treaty.

Anyone have any more information on this?

I know the Russians had a fort on Hawaii for some time, I cant remember the exact dates though. It wasnt very successful and was abandoned much sooner than, say, Fort Ross.

MrP

Banned
According to my aged Encyc Brit, Kamehameha I "thwarted Russian designs upon the islands (1815-16) and eliminated Spanish Pirates (1818)." So only more questions raised by that, I fear.

Thande

Donor
According to my aged Encyc Brit, Kamehameha I "thwarted Russian designs upon the islands (1815-16)

Hmm, which is earlier than this...

Wonder if G.Bone knows anything about it?

My idea was that, if the Russians had had a protectorate over Kauai, they'd have a foothold which they could eventually use to form a protectorate over all Hawaii.

MrP

Banned
Does it have anything on the Delightful and Instructive Customs of the Indigenous Peoples of X? ;)

It probably has Instructive And Educational Information On The Peoples Of The North American Continent (Indigenous). ;)

I don't think the population data's any later than 1940. It's a delightful window into the past! :cool:

Thande

Donor
It probably has Instructive And Educational Information On The Peoples Of The North American Continent (Indigenous). ;)

I don't think the population data's any later than 1940. It's a delightful window into the past! :cool:

I have the Arthur Mee Children's Encyclopaedia circa 1950 and I have to agree ;) I like the way they're so positive about everything. Even Communism is a Jolly Good Notion providing it stays over there in Russia ;) The only thing they're negative about is the Nazis.

From A. Grove Day's History Makers of Hawaii:

Scheffer, Georg Anton (1779-1836)

...Reinforced by three Russian ships and their crews, Scheffer withdrew to the island of Kauai. There King Kaumualii - who had promised Kamehameha in 1810 that after his death his realm would become a part of the kingdom of the conqueror - on May 21, 1816, signed a treasonous document putting Kauai under the protection of Czar Alexander Pavlovich of Russia. The Czar's flag flew over part of the Hawaiian Island for the folowing year. Scheffer built a stronghold, Fort Elizabeth, at Waimea and the breastworks in the valley of Hanalei. He had, however, aroused the fears of Kamehameha, as well as the antagonism of American ship captains, who feared that Russia would monopolize the profitable sandalwood trade. In May 1917, Kaumualii renounced the filibusters, the Russian ships were sent away empty, and on July 7 Scheffer left for Macao on an American vessel. The acts of Scheffer were disowned by Otto von Kotzebue during his 1916 visit to the islands. The Czar ignored the benefits of a protectorate over Kauai and in June, 1918, authorized only normal trade releations; thereafter the shadow of a possible Russian colony in the Northern Pacific was removed."

Thande

Donor
From A. Grove Day's History Makers of Hawaii:

Scheffer, Georg Anton (1779-1836)

...Reinforced by three Russian ships and their crews, Scheffer withdrew to the island of Kauai. There King Kaumualii - who had promised Kamehameha in 1810 that after his death his realm would become a part of the kingdom of the conqueror - on May 21, 1816, signed a treasonous document putting Kauai under the protection of Czar Alexander Pavlovich of Russia. The Czar's flag flew over part of the Hawaiian Island for the folowing year. Scheffer built a stronghold, Fort Elizabeth, at Waimea and the breastworks in the valley of Hanalei. He had, however, aroused the fears of Kamehameha, as well as the antagonism of American ship captains, who feared that Russia would monopolize the profitable sandalwood trade. In May 1917, Kaumualii renounced the filibusters, the Russian ships were sent away empty, and on July 7 Scheffer left for Macao on an American vessel. The acts of Scheffer were disowned by Otto von Kotzebue during his 1916 visit to the islands. The Czar ignored the benefits of a protectorate over Kauai and in June, 1918, authorized only normal trade releations; thereafter the shadow of a possible Russian colony in the Northern Pacific was removed."

Thank you, although I assume the dates in the last part of the paragraph were supposed to be 18-- not 19--.

Thank you, although I assume the dates in the last part of the paragraph were supposed to be 18-- not 19--.

No, he just lived a very long time. Damn secretary.

The problem, among others, with Russian Hawaii is that once Russia starts pulling back from Northern California and later sells Alaska, Russian interests in the Pacific pretty much end. The main reason is that Russia is expanding into Central Asia and still has so much of Siberia to exploit. Its very much as if merchantile expansion is cast aside for government directed expansion. Alaska was profitable for the Russian-American Company. Its not a case of short sightedness on the part of the Tsar's government, but more immediate returns.

True. I remember something about the Austro-Hungarian Empire possibly getting Brunei?

I know some Hungarian explorer was crowned king of at least part of Madagascar... Plus, the Knights of St. John, the Holy Roman Empire, and some small duchy in the Baltics (the name escapes me) all had stakes in the Caribbean.

I know some Hungarian explorer was crowned king of at least part of Madagascar... Plus, the Knights of St. John, the Holy Roman Empire, and some small duchy in the Baltics (the name escapes me) all had stakes in the Caribbean.

Courland is the duchy you're thinking of.